Thursday, September 5, 2013

TURBO: Turbo Perseveres (2011) Part 1 of 2

This scene picks up with Turbo bouncing across the track after hitting the outside wall. He subsequently pulls into the pits where Team Turbo is waiting to assess the damage. The news is not good, but the little guy will not be deterred.

In order to maintain an emotional connection with Turbo, I placed the camera down at his eye level when appropriate, while at the same time avoiding too many snail close-ups. I found that it was important to pull back from the snails occasionally to remind the audience that we were dealing with very small creatures in a big world. Placing recognizable objects in the shot along side the snails also helped to establish scale. (In my previous post, I did this with a pair of gardening gloves and a small spade.) There were not a lot of props in the pits however, so I used the humans feet in a few of the shots for size comparison. You'll see this mostly in the next post.

FYI - Some of the Indy cars in this scene are imported 3D models that I positioned on the track using Photoshop CS5 Extended. This saved me from having to draw a bunch of cars at crazy angles with a lot of foreshortening.
























































To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These are so amazing! The staging, the movement, I could even hear those tyres. The expressions and effects are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete